Saturday, August 5, 2006

Day 7: Sat July 1

Day 7: Sat July 1

Roscommon, Lanesboro, Ballymahon, Athlone, Farnagh, Ferbane, Cloghan, Taylor’s Cross, Banagher, Eyrecourt, Killimor, Loughrea, Gort and overnight in Kilmacduagh
(Counties Longford, Westmeath, Offaly, Galway)

190 km 8 hrs 16 mins cycling time Average speed 23 km / hr Racer

This was a long day, longer than planned. With no adverse hills it was back to the BH racer. Back over the Shannon at Lanesboro and some lovely views of Lough Ree as I cycled down towards Athlone. No need to go right into the town; out on the main Dublin road for a while. The wide shoulder made my passage safe till I turned off at Farnagh and started into Offaly. At this stage signposts for Thurles and Nenagh appeared and so I felt I was nearing home again. But still along trek to go. Lunch with Margaret was in Banagher before I crossed back over the Shannon again near the marina. The plan was to overnight in Loughrea. But this was a Saturday and all local accommodation was booked up for a wedding. So Plan B was for me to move further along the route to Gort into tomorrow’s section (23 km). In Gort accommodation wasn’t forthcoming either (Just as well as all the local Brazilian population were out partying on the street with Brazil playing the World Cup semi-final that night.) There was an offer of B&B further on in Kilmacduagh in the shadow of the ancient monastic tower. Eventually I reached there after almost 200 km with my shoulders really paining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment